… don’t show up on my wedding day. Pretty please?
I’ve told you guys a couple of times what the setting will be for our ceremony. We’ll be getting married on our venue’s massive sundeck, overlooking the beach. It has all the advantages of a beach wedding (hello, gorgeous scenery!) and none of the drawbacks (namely, sand everywhere).
(via the Grand Hotel)
Okay, I take it back – there is one drawback. We are going to be seriously dependent on the weather.
I’m no dummy. We do have a backup plan. It’s just that, now that we’re getting so close to the wedding, I’m hoping we won’t actually need it. In the event of inclement weather, we’ll be getting married on the dance floor in our ballroom with our guests seated at their dinner tables.
I’m not trying to say that an indoor ceremony is a bad thing. It’s not like my day will be ruined if I can’t have my dream ceremony setting. All that said, it’s definitely going to be a little bittersweet if things don’t work out weather-wise.
We did have the option to tent the sundeck as a sort of insurance policy, but we decided against it for several reasons. First and foremost, it would have cost five thousand dollars! Since we’d have to rent the tent, we’d be paying for it and using it regardless of the weather; if we did have a beautiful day, I wouldn’t want to block our gorgeous beach view with a big tent, you know? And second, tenting the sundeck wouldn’t make it completely weatherproof. If we have crazy winds or it’s freezing cold outside, the tent won’t do a thing. Also, five thousand dollars … yikes. So we’re taking our chances with Mother Nature.
This is one of those things that, when we booked the venue a year and a half ago, I couldn’t have cared less about. But now that we’re nearly at go time, I wish I had given it more thought. That said, every single venue we looked at had pretty much the same contingency plans for rain, so I ultimately don’t think it would have changed anything.
I recently checked the Farmers’ Almanac forecast for Cape May – believe it or not, I was afraid to do this because I was dreading what it might say! – and was relieved to find out that their prediction for April is “drier and much warmer than normal.” Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that they’re actually right.
I know the weather is completely out of my control, so there’s no point in stressing out about it, but I can’t help myself.
Anyone else keeping their fingers, toes, arms, legs, and any other body parts crossed for nice weather? What are your inclement weather contingency plans?